Armenia's pharmaceutical sector is one of the country's most dynamic sectors.
It has become a strategic sector for growing Armenian economy due to both its growing export potential and investment attraction.
Over 10 years from 2005 to 2015 Armenian pharmaceutical sector's production volume has grown from about USD one million to 15 million USD , with an annual growth rate of about 20% over five years.
- 19 licensed manufacturers
- 25 pharmaceutical product importers/ wholesalers and 1,273 retailers
- 41 retail companies which have more than two drugstores
- 47 representatives of foreign pharmaceutical companies (21 registered country offices)
- 1,688 pharmacies (2016) the turnover of which is more than USD 160 million (2015)
- USD 95.5 million imports (2015), of which
- USD 9.4 million from CIS countries
- USD 78.8 million from EU
- USD 39.6 million from other countries
- USD 7.8 million exports (2015) of which
- USD 4.5 million to CIS countries
- USD 3.3 million to other countries
- USD 14.2 million local pharmaceutical production (2015)
- 20% average annual growth rate in local pharmaceutical production (2009-2015)
- 19.3% average annual growth rate in local production export (2009-2015)
- 7% average annual growth rate in imports (2009-2015).